Primary 1 and Primary 2 tuned in to Author’s Live as part of our Book Week Scotland activities. The programme celebrated 20 years of the famous picture book The Gruffalo, with readings in Scots and Gaelic. We enjoyed listening to the story in Scots and sharing some of our favourite Scots words. Ms Payne said her favourite word was bahookie and Ms Hunter’s favourite word was blether. Here are the top 5 words named most popular by the Scottish Book Trust this week.
- Dreich – tedious, damp and wet
- glakit – stupid or foolish
- scunnered – disgust or strong dislike
- shoogle – shake or move from side to side
- wheesht – call for quiet or silence
What is your favourite Scots word?
Here is the link to the programme if you want to watch it at home.